We continue the birthday series with today’s Backtrax, which takes us to the winter of 2012 and into the throes of work related depression and stress. I mean seriously, this is the follow up list to the FDNDA Mix, you expected hearts and flowers? Anyways, here’s is the 9-9-9 Mix!
Name Game: The credit for this name is completely due (as Rachel Maddow calls him) the Herman Cain Art Project. During the 2012 elections, Herman Cain was getting pressed for details on his tax plan, the infamous 9-9-9 Plan, which made no sense and was savagely ripped apart. It was made funnier once he began answers on economics by simply saying 9-9-9. It also just happens that 9+9+9=27. This almost became the Galaxy Express 999 mix, but that movie depressed the crap out of me when I was younger, so I opted not to watch it again.
Temporality: Early morning/night. Let’s face it, none of these songs really should be played in the light of day. It’s a downer list. It’s a survival list.
Glee Cast feat. Olivia Newton-John – “Physical”: The only reasons why this track even made it to a playlist are because a) this is pop-electro done right and b) the entire cast is far the hell away from this, it’s just Jane Lynch and Olivia Newton-John. Full disclosure: I FUCKING HATE GLEE!
Example – “Stay Awake (Radio Edit)”: If done right, Europeans rapping over the top of electronic tracks can sound awesome. “Written in the Stars (Super Red Berry Remix)” is a great example of this from Jason Born. What sold me on that, is the same thing that sold me on this, the track itself. These synths here are absolutely gorgeous. I’m a big a fan of the chord progression, and unlike other songs in this genre (I’m looking at every song you ripped off of a legit trance/house producer, Pitbull), I actually care about the lyrics
Darkness Falls – “The Void”: I’m a sucker for female vocalists who an harmonize in a melodic track, but when you have more than one woman singing in harmony on a track that features some very weird sounds thrown in just because, then you have something special. Yes, it’s a downer song, but the melody, especially in the harpsichord bridge makes this okay.
- Glee Cast feat. Olivia Newton-John – “Physical”
- Owlle – “Free (Parisien Mix)
- Birkii – “Holy War”
- Wolfpack Beartrack – “Modern Realm”
- Exotica – “Spectrum (Radio Edit)”
- LA – “Zephyr”
- Pyramid – “The Race”
- capsule – “Keep Hope Alive” (can’t find a clean rip, start listening at 16:43)
- Deppstar – “Teardrop (Deppstar Extended Mix)”
- Parker & Hanson – “Afterthought (Heatbeat 6.0 Remix)”
- Lisa Miskovsky – “Still Alive (Johan Malmgren 2012 Bootleg)”
- Coldplay – “Paradise (Tiesto Remix)”
- Example – “Stay Awake (Radio Edit)”
- Kele vs. Sander van Doorn feat. Lucy Taylor – “What Did I Do Wrong (Radio Edit)”
- Kaskade feat. Rebecca & Fiona – “Turn It Down (Radio Edit)”
- Aboutblank & KLC feat. DJ Bo – “Gaensehaut (Im 7 Himmel) (Video Edit)”
- Jean Jacques Smoothie – “2People (2011 Rework Dcup Remix)”
- Mark Ronson & The Business Intl. – “Record Collection 2012 (Plastic Plates Remix)”
- Darkness Falls – “The Void”
- New Navy – “Zimbabwe (Flume Remix)”
- Zwicker – “Who You Are (Wood Version)”
- Essay – “Morning Mountain”